[Election 2008] Last night, I attended a birthday dinner for my good friend Lauren during which everyone but me couldn't stand to tear themselves away from CNN's continued coverage of the New Hampshire primary. Now, I'm just as stoked as they are by the increasingly real possibility of having someone sane and articulate running our country, but after just a week or so of pundit after pundit hauling out predictable cliches and stereotypes about women and minorities, I've just about had enough, thank you. To get through the next months, I plan to turn to this fun activity cooked up by the fabulous ladies at Feministing.com:
- Drink anytime someone refers to Clinton's teary moment in NH as "crying," "sobbing," "weepy," or "contrived."
- Take a drink for every "magical negro" reference to Obama.
- Take one drink anytime someone calls Clinton "shrill" or "screechy."
- Chug one whenever you hear of, see, or read Maureen Dowd. Always.
- Two drinks anytime anyone expresses the sentiment that Edwards is at a disadvantage because he isn't black or female.
- Take a shot when a pundit refers to Clinton as (or implies she is) a nagging bitch or cackling witch.
- Drink for any lamenting that white-dude voters are being ignored.
- Take a healthy gulp every time someone describes Obama as "clean" or "articulate."
- Take two shots whenever someone implies that women only vote with their vaginas.
Warning: Do not watch Chris Matthews under any circumstances--doing so could induce alcohol poisoning.
Glug. Glug. Glug. (Jamie Gadette)