They're causing quite a stir in the blogosphere. (Ulp. Excuse me. That word "blogosphere" always makes me throw up a little.)
But the answer all depends on the Lawsons, doesn't it? They'd be crazy to fess up and unlikely to anyway, since bigots in Utah tend to have that "kinder, gentler" form of passive-aggressive "Golly, it's really too bad Heavenly Father made you people inferior, isn't it?" bullshit racism.
And, if it's some kind of reverse-psychology "wind up the liberals and watch their guilt instincts kick in!" trick, it won't pay to invest too much emotional energy in it anyway.
Evidence That the Sock Monkeys Might Be Racist:
- They're from Utah. Duh.
- They're from West Jordan. Duh.
- A Park City real-estate agent named David J. Lawson donated money to the Mitt Romney campaign. If this turns out to be the same David J. Lawson as the one selling sock monkeys, bzzt! Gotcha!
- If there are any Democrats in West Jordan, they have too much white guilt to do something like this.
- Republicans are incapable of subtle irony.
- The Website reads that the monkey stays "true to his root," an obvious reference to reconstruction-era "lock up the womenfolk!" stereotypes.
- It also reads "Fall in love with your chosen candidate all over again" [emphasis added], not "our chosen candidate," as it would if the authors were Obama fans.
Evidence That the Sock Monkeys Are Just Cuddly:
- The Lawsons say so.
- Sock monkeys are adorable.
- So are Democrats.
- So what could be more cuddly than a Democratic sock monkey?
My money's on racism, but split 50-50 on "ignorance" and "malice" as motives. (Brandon Burt)